Kansas City, MO 64112
Job Post Date: August 12, 2019
Specifications Writer - Dallas
Populous is a very unique practice with a focus on design experiences.
We design the places where people love to be together. This is our singular purpose.
We use the power of design to transform neighborhoods, revitalize cities, build relationships and connect people to being part of something bigger.
Populous is where architects and designers of all kinds create moments bigger than ourselves. We’re a global specialized design firm with local roots in 9 cities across Americas.
Populous offers the best of both worlds: the resources and impact of the design giants and the tightly-knit atmosphere and growth opportunities of smaller firms.
WHY we design
To amplify the joy in shared moments.
HOW we do it
+ Architecture + Interior Design + Event Design + Landscape Design + Master Planning + Urban Design + Graphic Design + Product Design
WHAT we look for
+ Entrepreneurial spirit + Down to-earth nature + Trendsetting ideas + Unyielding passion + Adaptability + Curiosity + Vision + Energy + Culture enabling
The preferred candidate will have an interest in working in a dynamic and collaborative global design environment with a diverse range of public assembly building types; including the design of sports venues, convention centers, community buildings and transportation facilities.
We are seeking a passionate, creative, engaged, and technically proficient Specifications Writer to join us in a dynamic and collaborative design atmosphere. Applicants must possess exceptional technical abilities.
• Reviews drawings and other documents to write and edit specifications for projects and coordinates compliance with project requirements, institutional guidelines, Populous standards, technical conditions, acceptable standards, and existing laws, rules, regulations and codes.
• Interprets the project design requirements and translates those requirements into materials, methods, equipment, procedures, installation, and certification testing necessary to provide the narrative descriptions which are used to procure, install and erect building components.
• Participates in fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
• Integrates sustainable design initiatives into specifications.
• Participates in QA/QC reviews and checks on project documents.
• Coordinates specifications with Building Information Modeling (BIM) strategies and specification writing software.
• Collaborates with project managers and architects with material and system constructability analysis.
• Performs product research; assists project designers with material selection and system research.
• Participates in quality management reviews and technical advice in design development through construction document phases.
• Assists project architects with shop drawing and product substitution review.
• Coordinates and reviews consultant technical specifications for conformance with Populous standards.
• Acts as a risk management resource to other project leaders.
• Develops and maintains relationships with vendors.
• Develops new specification sections as needed.
• Participates in developing and improving Populous document standards and best practice procedures and bridges the gap between design professionals, specifications, LEED, QA/QC and construction administration.
• All other duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
• Ability to work on a team, as well as, independently. This role works very closely with architects, designers, consultants and other spec writers to complete projects.
• Strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
• Strong knowledge of construction procedures and schedules.
• Strong knowledge of building envelope components, interior plans and material requirements of all building and facility types. Knowledge in sports, convention centers, aviation, healthcare, higher education or other large assembly type building specifications is preferred but not required.
• Strong knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents.
• Proficiency in specifications software programs such as e-SPECS preferred.
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Proficiency in NewForma platform preferred.
• Ability to produce a well-coordinated, detail-oriented, fully integrated specifications.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and produce results within deadline.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or equivalent in appropriate education and experience required.
• Construction Specifications Institute certification preferred (CDT).
• LEED Green Associate preferred (LEED GA).
• Minimum 5 years in architectural practice with prior experience in specifications development.
• Overtime will be required.
Populous offers a competitive salary, bonus and benefit packages, including medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k, flexible spending accounts, paid time off and continuing education benefits. Populous is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
4 time-Fast Company Most Innovative Company
#21 - Architect Magazine’s Architect 50 List
250 International, national and local design awards
Find us here - https://populous.com/careers