Dallas, TX 75203
Job Post Date: May 11, 2022
Development Services Department [Senior Building Plans Examiner positions]
The Senior Plans Examiner-Building Inspection reviews, examines, and analyzes commercial, and multi-family building plans and specifications for compliance with City Building Codes.
- Performs and completes building code reviews on large and small commercial and multi-family residential projects; Certificate of Occupancies; Access Control; Generator; and High-piled storage permits. Evaluates and approves building and construction permits; repairs, drafts., and maintains technical reports regarding review activities.
- Participates in pre-development meetings and delivers strong and competent technical advice on residential and commercial building codes, life safety, and accessibility codes.
- Meets with architects, engineers, contractors, and developers; explains and interprets building code and fire code requirements. Provides input for modification of submitted construction documents.
- Reviews permit application information and adjusts as needed for building square foot, construction types, occupancy classifications, sprinkler status, and fire alarm status. Ensures architectural and structural plans are coherent and are drawn to scale.
- Assists public, architects, engineers, contractors, and attorneys; resolve complex building related compliance disagreements through code research and communications.
- Works closely with citizens and businesses in Dallas to interpret complex building codes in a clear and concise manner to promote livability, viability, and equitability within the City.
- Collaborates and engages with Zoning and Planning Staff. Assist Fire Department and Building Inspectors to address issues in the field.
- Leads, trains, and provides direction for other plans examiners; provides insight, technical knowledge, and code expertise to ensure all building plans are effectively reviewed.
- Performs all other work as needed or assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of building code
- Knowledge of other City’s construction codes and applicable state laws
- Ability to effectively communicate, explain and interpret the codes and standards both verbally and in writing
- Ability to read and accurately interpret construction documents, specifications, and reference materials
- Ability to analyze facts, recognize problems, and formulate and implement viable solutions
- Ability to lead and direct subordinate staff and monitor work for quality control and standards
- Ability to Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationship with others
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in an architecture, engineering, or construction management field plus one (1) year of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
EQUIVALENCY(IES): • •
An Associate Degree in an architecture, engineering, or construction management field plus three (3) years of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
An Associate Degree in an architecture, engineering, or construction management field plus ICC Building Plans Examiner certificate plus two (2) years of the required experience will meet the education and experience requirements.
High School Diploma, GED plus 5 years of experience in municipal building plans review/inspection OR light-frame construction with responsibility for interpreting and ensuring compliance with the International Building Code (IBC).
LICENSE(S) and/or CERTIFICATION(S): • Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
OTHER REQUIREMENT(S): • Must be able to obtain ICC Certificate for Building Plans examiner within (1) year of employment
Salary $54,910.00 – 82,365.15 Annually
Location 320 E. Jefferson Blvd. Dallas, TX
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Apply using the link below: