Talk About It
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Ron Stelmarski, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Paul Dennehy, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: D. Michael Hellinghausen, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Stephen Pickard, FAIA
- In Remembrance: Jack Craycroft, AIA
Important City Updates
Elections, Ordinances, and Kalita Humphreys
The city of Dallas just had the runoff election for Mayor and four City Council seats on June 8. Mayor-Elect, Eric Johnson, won the election by a margin of 11 percent. After two full terms, Mayor Mike Rawlings will complete his service as mayor in June. In the four Council runoffs, Carolyn King Arnold won reelection in D4, Adam Bazaldua won in D7, Paula Blackmon won the open seat in D9, and David Blewett defeated incumbent Philip Kingston in D14.
On June 12, Council will consider renewing a lease with the Dallas Theater Center to fundraise for and manage the historic Kalita Humphreys. The proposed lease agreement will require an update of the original masterplan.
Council adopted a revised ordinance on May 22 to improve pedestrian access during roadway construction, require sidewalks be restored after adjacent construction, secure metal plates in the street, and sunset construction permits after 60 days.
Karla Garcia won in the runoff for District 4, becoming the first Latina woman and youngest ever trustee elected to the Dallas ISD Board of Trustees.