Talk About It
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Ron Stelmarski, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Paul Dennehy, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: D. Michael Hellinghausen, FAIA
- Congratulations to the Newly Elevated Fellow: Stephen Pickard, FAIA
- In Remembrance: Jack Craycroft, AIA
From the Executive Director: February
Greetings, Members, Colleagues, and Friends,
Since I came on board in early January, one of my primary goals has been to align our services and program offerings better within the new framework that was set for our new home, the AD EX, to increase member satisfaction, member and public attendance, and our relevance as a partner and a civic/cultural venue. To that end, I announced a new organizational structure with revised roles and responsibilities.
- Shirley Che has been promoted to Associate Director of Member Experience. The goals in her new role are to contribute to long-term growth strategy for the organizations, manage AIA’s annual fundraising and membership campaigns, and create new diversified sources of revenue.
- Cathy Boldt’s title has been updated to better align with her current responsibilities and the new structure, as an Associate Director of Professional Development.
Please join me in celebrating our team!
Another of this year’s major initiatives is strengthening our ties with local and regional government. This month, members heard from both Dallas City Manager T.C. Broadnax and Council Member Chad West at our popular Coffee and Conversation series. Additionally, I briefed the Environment and Sustainability Committee at city staff’s request, as well as served as a panelist in the Buildings and Energy discussion at the Climate Symposium. We aim to continue to serve as a professional resource for municipalities and policy makers.
As our members work to strengthen their practices and communities, AIA Dallas launched two new professional development series that position members for success both in business and as advocates. Our Practice Management series runs through December and explores the knowledge and skills architects need to effectively manage a business while delivering great projects – from HR and financial management to proposal strategies and making a winning pitch. Additionally, our Design Excellence series runs through November and helps architects leverage the essential skills that you bring to the table while advocating for sustainable, resilient, and inclusive design. Learn more.
Proving that we are stronger together, our 2nd annual Cross-Pollination Happy Hour brought over 100 attendees to the AD EX to meet members of the Latinos in Architecture, Women in Architecture, Young Professionals, and Fellows networks.
Additionally, we are pleased to recognize our Dallas members who have enjoyed personal recognition at the highest level:
- Kirk Johnson, FAIA; Clifford M. Welch, FAIA; Mark A. Williams, FAIA, who were elevated to Fellowship in the American Institute of Architects
- Eduardo Castaneda, Assoc. AIA, 2020 recipient of the AIA National Associates Award
We hope you will join us to honor these members, as well as those architects, officials, organizations, patrons, and professionals from related industries who have been recognized with national, state, and chapter awards. Over the past several years, we have witnessed a major transformation in the mindset of Dallas – a great focus on improving our quality of life, retaining the authenticity of our neighborhoods, creating a more pedestrian‐ and bike‐friendly city, and preserving our great natural resources. Much of this is thanks in part to those we are honoring at CELEBRATE ARCHITECTURE on April 2 at the beautiful Marie Gabrielle Gardens. Please join us as we toast the art and craft of architecture and all that it brings to our city and our daily lives.
Zaida Basora, FAIA