The AIA Continuing Education System
The AIA plays an active role in the continuing education of its members. We aim to provide the best available professional opportunities to our membership and related industry professionals. Explore this section to learn more about continuing your education.
How Many Credits Do I Need to Renew My License?
Texas Licensed architects are required to complete twelve (12) hours of continuing education each calendar year all related to health, safety and/or welfare (HSW) of the public.
- At least one of the twelve hours must be related to sustainable or energy-efficient design
- At least one of the twelve hours must be related to barrier-free deisgn
- At least eight of the twelve hours must be structured activities (classroom/classroom equivalent)
- A maximum of four hours may be self-directed study.
Your state hours are not in addition to AIA hours. When you renew your license during your birthday month, the renewal form will ask you to certify you completed the required hours during the previous year. Learn more about State licensing requirements, click here.
How Many Credits Do I Need to Renew My AIA Membership?
AIA architect members are required to complete 18 learning unit (LU) hours of continuing education per year for membership renewal. Of those 18 LU hours, at least 12 hours must be in Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW) topics.
There are three types of AIA CES provider course learning units:
- General Learning Units (abbreviated as LU)
- Health, Safety, and Welfare Learning Units (abbreviated as LU/HSW) - Health, Safety, Welfare (HSW) Guidelines can be found here.
- Sustainable Design Learning Units (abbreviated as LU/HSW/SD) - no longer required by AIA, but required by TBAE
AIA national offices manage all membership CE records. To obtain a copy of your transcript, click here. With questions about CE Credits for a class offered by AIA Dallas call 214-742-3242 or email email@example.com