Kristy Ramirez1414 Belleview St.
Dallas, TX 75215
Job Post Date: November 1, 2019
The buildingcommunityWORKSHOP ([bc]) is a nonprofit community design center seeking to improve the livability and viability of communities through the practice of thoughtful design and making. [bc] has offices in Dallas, Brownsville, and Houston, TX and in Washington DC. We are currently seeking a Design Manager to work in our Dallas, TX office supporting projects locally and in other offices.
Position Title: Senior Architectural Designer / Manager
Start Date: October 2019
MAIN PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The work we do is impactful. It is fun. It is challenging. You will work with people in places where design services are typically not accessible and with people who normally do not have access to design. You will be responsible for all aspects of project delivery, from pre-design to completion on architecture and creative placemaking projects. This may include pre-design engagement activities, historical research and schematic design in a number of mediums (sketch, model, digital) to design development/construction documentation,
construction administration and project management under the supervision of a licensed architect.
This position requires the ability to apply a diverse set of skills to a diverse set of issues. You will be working in areas where resources are scarce and therefore must be resourceful. What that means is that you may work on the design of a building, a public space, go to a community meeting, develop budgets, or pursue funding in the same day. Other days you may just do one thing. The ability to manage your time effectively while remaining nimble and focused is necessary.
Potential projects may include the design of modular/pre-fabricated housing prototypes, affordable housing, design and programming of a temporary installation, and creative placemaking. While the position is based in
Dallas, it will support work in all of our offices, with some travel required.
We value team members who:
• Are strong team players (of course!).
• Enjoy applying themselves creatively to Architectural and Urban Design challenges.
• Thrive when given independence in project management situations.
• Enthusiastically support the implementation of architectural and/or urban design initiatives, and are willing to travel to project sites when required.
• Enjoy supporting our clients and partner organizations.
• Enjoy being ingrained in their local community as well as supporting work in other geographies.
• A commitment to people and place with a strong interest in public interest design.
• Degree in architecture (B Arch, M Arch)
• 3+ years’ experience, project management, design, documentation, and construction admin.
• Progressing towards licensure if not already licensed.
• Experience in residential and light commercial typologies.
• Strong visual communication skills and graphic talent.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience with direct civic engagement a plus. Including but not limited to: organizing a design charrette or workshop, hosting a community forum.
• Proficiency in Archicad, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite.
• Eligible and authorized to work in the USA.
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and work samples (15 mb maximum file size) to: Kristy Ramirez (no phone calls please) at email@example.com. Please reference “Architectural Designer Dallas” in the subject line of your email.
buildingcommunityWORKSHOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer