PRACTICE MANAGEMENT: Finding Balance
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Talk About It
- Announcing the 2022 Slate for the AIA Dallas Board of Directors and TxA Director
- PIVOTING: Careers in Architecture
- AIA Dallas 2021 Emerging Leaders Program: Firm Leadership | High Performing Teams
- AIA Dallas 2021 Emerging Leaders Program: Camp Summit – Schematic Planning & Design
- 2022 Board of Directors | Call for Nominations
PRACTICE MANAGEMENT SERIES
Practice Management focuses on running an architecture firm. All architects require at least some knowledge about running a business, and many architects require a lot of knowledge, especially as the architect takes on leadership roles of increasing responsibility, whether a large or small firm.
Operating an architectural firm requires knowledge of marketing, financial management, and human resources. Firm development, including continuing attention to strategic direction, knowledge management, and administrative effectiveness, must be an ongoing concern for firms of all sizes. Throughout a firm’s life cycle, from start-up through growth and development, ownership transition and potential expansion to global or multi-office practice, entrepreneurial architects benefit from increasing their understanding of management best practices.
“Running a successful architecture practice is a skill that can be learned and mastered. If you master the skill of running a practice and you also understand how to deliver great projects, you’re going to be a force to be reckoned with.” Enoch Sears, AIA, The Business of Architecture
This 11-session series has been designed to help practicing architects develop the knowledge and skills they need to effectively manage an architecture business:
- Organizational Development – options for legal entities, regulations that influence professional practice, creating a strategic plan, partner contracts, including ownership transitions, and the ethics of architectural practice
- Human Resources – strategies and methodologies for recruiting and hiring, laws and regulations governing HR, compensation strategy and philosophy, and needs of employees for professional development, mentoring and supervision
- Financial Management – annual budgets and business plans, tax planning, navigating economic cycles, and managing a project without going over budget or schedule
- Risk Management – standard of care for architects and need for quality control, levels of insurance coverage for business and professional liability, communication strategies, dispute management and resolution, importance of contracts and agreements with clients and collaborators in managing risk
- Technology – analyzing financial management systems, comparing potential technologies for various stages of project deliver, evaluating emerging technologies, and managing technologies, including information management and services.
- Marketing and Business Development – developing a marketing strategy, networking effectively, utilizing website, social media and other technologies, and determining if advertising is appropriate
- Contract Negotiations – identifying skills for successful contract negotiations, critical points to include, contract pricing, responsibilities of project team members and key components of a construction contract
- To Propose or Not to Propose – information needed for an informed decision, determine firm capacity, and assessing the advantages and disadvantages of winning the project
- Creating a Winning Proposal – components of a winning proposal, determining the decision-maker, building an effective relationship with decision-maker, and building a team of professionals if the firm does not have capacity to effectively complete project
- Making a Winning Pitch – developing good presentation skills, utilizing appropriate technology tools, communicating unique capabilities and capacities of project team, and responding effectively to questions from the potential client
Finding Balance – having time for life and family, creating a positive, respectful and collaborative culture, and turning mistakes into valuable business experiences
Attend as many sessions as you choose, or the whole series at a discounted price.