Talk About It
- 2019 AIA Dallas Unbuilt Design Awards Welcomes James Leng of OFFICE JAMES LENG
- 2019 AIA Dallas Unbuilt Design Awards Welcomes Zeina Koreitem of MILLIØNS Architects
- Save A Sample! expands to deliver materials to local artisans year- round!
- Take Shelter! How We Design Storm Shelters Saves Lives
- The Question of Morality in Development: Bringing Columns to Life
A Look Under the Hood
On March 6th, AIA Dallas COTE sponsored a tour of the Brandt Corporate Headquarters (one of the largest local engineering firms). If you were not one of the 30+ attendees to see this LEED Gold facility, you missed a chance to get an up close look at many sustainable features in action.
Our guides included engineers that live and use the facility daily, as well as key members of the architectural team from Good Fulton & Farrell. 18 eco features were on display and in action throughout the facility. Features included:
- Geothermal Heat Exchange Systems
- Displacement Ventilation
- Energy Management System Monitors
- Condensate Recovery
- Solar Water Heating
- High Efficiency Rainwater Harvesting for Greywater Distribution
- BIM Model and BIM Coordination Room for Maximum Construction Efficiencies
As an avid Revit user, the BIM coordination room made me a little jealous with the three large monitors used to coordinate conditions in design and fabrication that allows for reduction of waste in the field. Another favorite among many of the attendees was the high efficiency rainwater harvesting. It used a syphonic drainage system to deliver roof-collected water at such an increased speed to the collection cisterns outside that reductions in piping slope, close to zero could be achieved.
The interior of the renovated facility was a validation that a building does not sacrifice any aesthetic beauty by being sustainably minded. The overall design of the office space was light, airy, and a wonderful environment to spend many hours of the day.
Thank you again to BRANDT for hosting this event and please stay tuned for more exciting tours organized by your AIA Dallas COTE committee.